SUPER easy vegetarian quinoa
(if your kids eat beans)
we are trying to eat more whole foods
less packaged and prepared stuff
more whole grains
fewer foods made with whole grain flour
but still we have time constraints
and picky eaters
so frozen veggies work
quinoa isn't actually a grain
it's a seed
it is also a complete protein
which is good
- 1 Tsp. olive oil
- 1 Chopped onion (if your kids freak out at the sight of an onion just sprinkle some onion powder)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa (I used red, but any kind is fine)
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
Brown the onion in the oil. Add garlic, and cook for a few minutes longer. Add quinoa to pan with vegetable broth and spices. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 1 cup frozen corn ( I didn't have any corn today so I used a frozen veggie mix from Trader Joes called "Soycutash" it has corn, red peppers, and edamame, so I cut the black beans back)
Cook for 5 more minutes. Then add:
- 2 cups black beans, rinsed and drained.
- diced red pepper
- Chopped cilantro (optional)
It's a complete meal like this, or you can serve it with avocado and fresh salsa.
You can eat it cold for lunch the next day
or heat it up after happy hour and smother it with cheddar.
Just sayin. We can't be good all the time.